Old 06-30-20, 09:56 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Depending on condition, I would chose the Fuji Touring Series III though the Nashbar Toure LP might also be good (do you have photos? one model looks to have interesting seat stays attached to the top tube). The RB-1 is not a touring bike, it doesn't have the gearing you might like on a tour. You could update the drivetrain and possibly get a rack or two on it, but maybe more trouble than it's worth.

I just purchased a Fuji Touring Series III in very nice, very original condition.

A mechanic friend noticed while truing, both of the stock UKAI rims (which are so polished they almost look like stainless steel, but are in fact alloy) had noticeable bumps at the seams. It's not noticeable when braking or riding.

A possible weakness are the cantilevers. Many people have a poor opinion of the stock Dia Compe 960 brakes. The original pads are probably hard and the braking not so good. I replaced the hard original pads with Kool Stop Cross pads, and the braking is much improved, and adequate, still not up to the level of better cantilever brakes. Apparently some different brakesets could work, but that is a whole other bag of worms. I would keep it 27" and keep the brakes, but update the pads.

I have always loved the color and paint on the Fuji Touring Series III, silver with red detailing looks pretty classy.

1984 Fuji Touring Series III