View Single Post
Old 08-31-20, 02:43 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know, I'm honestly a bit skeptical about Purple Air's LRAPA conversion. There are times when it seems to paint a much rosier picture than what I'm actually smelling and seeing when I step outside, and in those cases the "None" option seems more accurate.

There are times when there's a discrepancy where the "None" option shows sensors in my area ranging from, say, the 120s to 140s (i.e., unhealthy for sensitive people), but clicking LRAPA brings everything down to the 70s, 80s, or 90s, and yet the air is still objectively pretty darn smokey when you're out in it.

I'm obviously not an expert, so maybe there is a certain amount of smoke in the air that is totally fine for healthy people to inhale? However, I recall reading a quote a few years ago from an expert on this saying that if you're smelling smoke when you stick your head outside, that means there's enough of it in the air to be bad for anyone, regardless of the air quality index levels.

So, basically, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with riding when Purple Air's "None" levels are at about 110 or more, as that's about where I usually start smelling smoke.

Last edited by Pavol Stromcek; 08-31-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For Pavol Stromcek: