View Single Post
Old 03-16-21, 03:44 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,763 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Sure. The 2000 Brava has a Reynolds 520 frame, Sora 3x8 brifter drivetrain. Nothing flashy, but good frame and decent components.

The front shifting issue is probably simple - lack of cable tension or incorrect limit set.

Could also be gummed up front shifter from lack of use. Easiest way to tell is to pull a handful of front shift cable away from the frame and see if it shifts into the big ring this way if the shifter won't. Gummed up shifters can be flushed with a solvent and then lubed. I like CRC Power Lube in the red can to perform both functions.
I would agree that a good flush cleaning and adjustment will likely clear up the shift issues about half the 20-30 something year old Shimano triggers and Brifter's seem to have issues getting into the big ring and bigger cogs on the rear. Yet ounce cleaned up adjusted setup right and used a bit 90% seem to work just fine. I will admit though the 2000 or so Sora's are about the worst of Shimano's 8/9 speed trigger brifter stuff on the several bikes I have gotten over the years or rebuilt that had Sora's changed them for something else.