Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Did you ride Tour Divide?

I think that the rohloffs that didn't have oil aren't necessarily a neutral point against them for long distance. Randonneurs are probably the worst riders I know for maintenance given how much they ride. The only people I have ever heard of that had their Di2 batteries die on a ride were Randonneurs, for example. OTOH, I can't tell you how many randonneurs I know that have had shift cables break. I even started carrying a cable with me because I knew so many people.
This might be me but it sounds like the people you describe aren't used to doing their own maintenance. With the Rohloff you basically replace the oil in the hub once a year.

I started riding the Divide in 2016. Its spectacular and so much more satisfying than road races, although about 70% of it is actually gravel. Some of it is 2-track, a little single track and about 15% is pavement. Its also a bit harder since in the race you're unsupported and looking at over 2700 miles (if Banff is the northern terminus) to complete. If you ever think about doing it or part of it, don't hesitate. The only problem is it gets in your blood; you might not want to see a bicycle again by the time you complete, but two weeks later you'll be Jones'n...