Old 09-26-21, 04:16 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I worked for a shop that sold and serviced Specialized bicycles. There were a group of MTB riders that wanted a specific bike from Specialized, but they (Spec) would not allow the sale to the shop unless they were a "premium" dealership. The owner opted to follow through with the requirements to become a premium dealer. Specialized then forced the owner to take a package that included a very specific group of bikes, many of them well higher end than we had the market to successfully sell. Also made him change his fit program to the specific program that Spec has, as well as tools and computer programs, etc. He had been a fitter of a different program for years prior to this. The only other bike brand that the shop was allowed to sell after this was Felt. I have no idea why this brand was ok, but the shop had previously offered several other brands alongside each other. Afterward, two.
Being a "premium" location meant that he also had to get rid of all other clothing and gear options and only stock shelves with the Spec clothing, gloves, accessories. There were a very small amount of products that were allowed from one specific supplier of (various) parts on order. Just about the only other things that could be displayed in store were Park, and the Continental and one other "off" brand of tires that I can't recall the name of ATM.

At first it seemed like it was going to be a good thing for the shop. The aforementioned customers got the bikes they wanted, the store was filled to the brim with really nice products across a range of level and price. Some time into this new classification we had warranty repaired two of the frames from this specific Spec MTB, all of the low and mid end bikes were sold out. The shop was filled with high end bikes that sell way less. We were selling Felt at a much higher rate based simply on availability and price. Spec themselves wanted to be paid for all this equipment forced on the shop. The owner balanced that against sales, against their unwillingness to supply the bikes we were selling outside pre-set packages they wanted to push based on the new classification, and opted it was a better choice to close the doors than continue trying to operate under these new guidelines. Took just at a year to ruin a prosperous business.

I like the Specialized Roubaix that I own, as a bike, piece of equipment. I have quite the distain for their practices and this seems to be another brick in that wall.
Likes For Juan Foote: