Old 10-02-21, 05:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's what I thought when I read your post. There really isn't anything stopping an inattentive mechanic from putting them in backwards.

I found out how important the pins were on a 200k when I had cut down some pads to clear my forks. I ended up losing a pad and I cut another one in half so I could have the full compliments of pads. They fell out more than once, even though I knew about it. I didn't know I moved my bike backwards that much.
I find it difficult to believe that the pins sheared off from stopping a bike rolling backwards. I am guessing that the pad holders were installed backwards (right side on left, etc.), thus in hard braking when going forward at speed, there could be a lot of force on those pins.

When I worked at a bike shop almost a half century ago, I was the only mechanic there that could figure out how to work on rod brakes, thus I was the one that worked on the vintage bikes like Raleigh DL1. Their pads did not have pins, would easily slide out backwards if you were stopped on an uphill and used the brakes to hold a bike from rolling backwards.