257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti
Tonight I crashed.

There is a segment of the MUP I ride where they repaved this year, but haven't finished. So on my outbound ride there is a 2-inch drop. I avoid it by riding around it on the shoulder, and then rejoining the MUP on the older pavement. The shoulder and the old pavement are even, so the transition is easy. Tonight in the dark (despite my headlight) I didn't realize that yesterday they completed the paving. So when I went to transition back to what had been the old pavement, I hit the edge of the new pavement. Front wheel washed out and I got sent flying at about 15 mph. Landed on my right upper chest/shoulder, and the right side of my head hit the pavement hard.

I lay there trying to gather myself, and figuring how to get to where my wife could pick me up (nearest road to this part of the MUP is at least a half mile away). I also paused my GPS. When I got up I realized I wasn't really hurt, and once I got the chain back on the bike I realized it was fine too. I was only 4 miles into a 15 mile ride, but I decided to keep going and finish.

Got home without further incident. Head is OK, neck is a little sore. And my right arm and upper chest are going to be pretty sore tomorrow. My helmet is a styrofoam type made by Specialized. The foam seems fine, no cracks or anything. But should I replace it because of the impact? I'm thinking of upgrading to a Bontranger WaveCel.

Monthly Goal: 150
12/2: 16.4
12/4: 15.7
MTD: 32.1
YTD: 1460.9

Mark
you are fortunate,glad your ok......I believe you need a new helmet 😁
Likes For 257 roberts: