View Single Post
Old 12-13-21, 07:59 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
new to us Schwinn Twinn. Bought from a guy that said he used it one time, looks new and lucky for us - its in a large size which apparently means 22" front and 18" rear C-T.

My wife and I ride together on our own bikes and since I ride quite a bit more than she does, its harder to stay together. for an Entry Level the Twinn gets pretty good reviews on Amazon, but the bottom bracket is low with the 26" stock wheelset causing some pedal strike. I happen to have a 700 Wheelset set up for Disc Brakes that I may try to swap in to solve this issue and considering junking the cheap suspension fork for a rigid aluminum, carbon or chromoly. our intended use is rail trails, possibly the Katy Trail, the Mickelson this summer and some local off road trails. I spend quite a bit of time on my vintage Steel bikes so this will be new and different.

Question: is it set up like a fixie where both have to pedal all the time, or can one person freewheel while the other pedals? Looking forward to reading this forum to learn more about this before we do our maiden voyage

I have the same bike. My wife and I have done the entire Katy Trail, Great Allegany Passage, and most of the C&O trail on it. I have heavily modified the bike as things have broken or worn out.
One of the first things was getting rid of the suspension fork. That alone went a long way to stop the pedal striking the ground. This fork works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The cheap seats and pedals went next. My wife uses the old school pedal straps to keep her feet from slipping off the pedals when I shift gears. Yes you both have to pedal at the same time.
The stock wheels lasted only about 2000 miles. Replacing them was somewhat difficult as the rear used a 7-speed freewheel - not a cassette. It's very difficult to find a wheel with a freewheel AND disc brake. You can get an 8-speed cassette wheel and put on a 7-speed cassette with an adapter ring. We did that for a while. However the granny gear wasn't quite low enough for some hills.
Therefore I switch the tandem over to an 8-speed with an 11-34T cassette. To do this you need a rear wheel that can take an 8-speed cassette, an 8-speed rear derailleur, and an 8-speed shifter. It was a great upgrade.
Tip: If you plan on doing any touring, carry a tandem rear derailleur cable and a rear brake cable. They are about 3000-35000 mm long. Many bike shops don't carry them and you'll really be out of luck if one breaks. Plus you can cut the cables shorter if something on the front snaps.
There's much, much more that I can tell you about the bike. PM me or send me an email at whittle at charter.net if you want more information.