Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Agree. If someone is exclusively using a bike on a trainer and is prepared to buy a new tire, then a trainer tire makes sense.

The topic of this thread is "is it OK to use a regular road tire on a trainer" and in my experience it's totally fine to do this. The stories of road tires disintegrating after just a few hundred miles are the opposite of my reality. My road tires have been just fine on my trainer, have not shown any signs of accelerated wear and even though I rarely ride that bike outside, I see no reason why I'd buy a trainer tire until I've at least completely worn out all of the old road tires I have laying around. At my current pace, that'll take at least a few more years.

Also my trainer bike has carbon wheels on it. It has been fine. Of course it doesn't make sense to buy carbon wheels for a trainer bike, but I already had the wheels and they're currently the only set I own that fits that particular bike. I know I could buy a cheap "trainer wheel" which many seem to think is also necessary, but I've not noticed any problems so far.
It all makes sense now. It wasn't originally apparent that you weren't going out and buying new GP5k tires to use on your trainer. Perfectly fine to use leftover, mostly worn stuff.