View Single Post
Old 03-08-22, 09:19 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JVME
Hey all. I'm an older guy and I've been riding an old school touring/road bike for a while. This was the first one I found after I moved here. I live in an urban area and ride daily about 2-4 miles one way in Baltimore city. It's mostly flat, slow sloping hills, nothing major. I'm not enjoying the 27" road bike as much since it's basically just "ride among cars, navigate lights, etc.." I'd like to be able to take stairs, maybe some parks here and there on my way around town. So, I'm looking at 20" BMXs again.

My plan is to buy a 20" BMX, put the handbrake on it, then buy a second, longer seat post to put my road seat so I can just swap between the two different set ups for longer rides vs. short ones. Also, maybe look into upping the chainring size down next year depending on how it goes.

My question is, is this nuts? When I was a kid with much younger joints I rode miles and miles on a my BMX with 18s. I know I'm not that young now, and I understand a bike fitter would probably laugh at me. But is 2-4 miles on a BMX through back streets, alleys, occasional park and what not unreasonable?

I'm in physical good physical shape -- run 20+ miles a week and my joints are all in good shape. I mostly ride the bike for fun and additional exercise and because so many trips I make around town are less than 3 miles, which seems stupid in a car. It's just that riding the road bike isn't as much fun.

Does anyone use a 20 for their regular trips in a city? Or are they just really for taking to the park, pump track, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

This isn't a BMX bike exactly, but it's 20" and I find it's lots of fun to ride. Last Friday I rode it up into the Mountains where I live gaining more than 4000 feet (1360 meters) of elevation. I've also covered more than 200km in a single day riding it. It's fast and climbing I can usually beat the roadies I encounter. I love it too much to jump it like a BMX, but it's easy to hop curbs without worrying about damage. Something to consider anyway.
​​​​​​

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-08-22 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard: