Old 11-07-21, 02:45 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think she might be talking of crash or fall scenario and getting poked by the flatbar.

I've been poked by my own flat bar a few times before when I fell on the bike or the bike fell on me. It's unlikely to stab you, unless you crashed hard but poking can be quite painful, cause internal injuries, and can break bones. It's also likely if I'm riding with a group, my flatbar could poke others too in a group spill.

I've never been poked by a drop bar and I've crashed over them a few times. Dropbars are noted for that feature and for the most risk-averse riders would likely insist on dropbars.
Was reading this thread and smirking to myself thinking about what an utter prig that woman was to you, until I read about getting poked by a flat bar.

The worst accident I ever had was falling and landing on the handlebar.

I'm pretty much all about mountain biking these days and ride mountain bikes with 710-810 mm wide bars. Used road ride a lot back in the day though.

Well, long flat handlebars are now longer than my palm to shoulder. In 2016 I fell and landed on the bike with outstretched arms over the bar and I kid you not, the bar hit my sternum dead center sea straight perpendicular.

Broke my sternum and caused a cardiac arrest!

Grateful to recover from that one.

On that bike I have bar ends. Without those on there, might be dead, because the bar end stopped the bar from deep penetration.

So this is one downside to flat bars.

I still ride with them and it's true they're great for going downhill, and up. True also perhaps, not good for roadie bike clubs I guess.