View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 05:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
I am looking to add a pump to my recently built steel 520 tourer. Ideally something that attaches to the top tube. I do not have braze-ons and do not want to mess with the paint to add them. Prefer top-quality and I’m willing to pay for it (does not have to look expensive or techie; retro look preferred, but not important).

Any recommendations? Should I get one that has a built-in pressure gauge? Should I get one that adapts CO2 cartridges or should be manual only?

Thank you for your help.
Most of the pumps that do both don’t have much capacity for pumping. They are a pretty poor minipump. I would say the same about just about any micropump. The Topeak Morphs aren’t a micropumps but they aren’t overly large either.

Carbon dioxide works but it does diffuse out quickly. A tire that is pressurized with CO2 will probably be flat overnight without any leaks. The CO2 is also a single shot kind of thing. The question to ask is how many cartridges you think you’ll need and how many you want to carry? A pump refills on every stroke.

As for carrying one, this is a Topeak Road Morph carried on the top tube. The pump comes with a mount that is meant to screw into a water bottle mount but it takes all of the mount. Zip ties, a bit of double backed adhesive, and the provided Velcro strap will keep it very securely in place.

2015-05-03 11.38.54 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

You can find mounts that go under the water bottle cage that work as well. Both work. I have all of my pumps mounted under the water bottle cage now. The under the top tube one is a bit of a pain if you need to carry the bike for any reason.

_IMG4968 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: