View Single Post
Old 04-27-20, 12:40 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by NickOnABike
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I still have not pulled the trigger on a new bike but this is all very helpful and I will continue to refer to it. My main takeaways are to not worry about the frame material but to pay attention to the wheels and get something that can accommodate wider tire sizes because they aren't necessarily any slower but do add comfort. That may mean a gravel bike or just waiting for a good craigslist deal and upgrading the wheels.
I followed this thread from the beginning not knowing it had been bumped. Actually, the main takeaways are not to worry about anything. Buy a bike you like the looks of. At 250 you are only 10lb. above the recommended limit of most road bikes. You should worry more about fit. As said earlier, back in the day Peugot and Gitane and others built frames (steel) in 25" and 27" sizes but in 2020 the LG or XL size of most road bikes will fit you just fine. And the stock wheels are more than enough. Check out a Salsa Journeyman 700. I've seen two in person. You should do the same. It takes up to 50mm tires. That's 2"!! Anyone who tells you that they aren't slower than 25mm tires is not a nice person. But they will be more comfortable, provided you keep the pressure under 50psi.