View Single Post
Old 04-27-20, 01:32 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I worked with a man 6' 4" and 280lbs who rode his road bike 10 km each way to work often 6 days per week even in the winter with deep snow (riding in the tire tracks of cars no doubt).

He bought a new lower end bike, perhaps like $1 000 today every year. He said he wore them out. I'm pretty sure he could have replaced the worn parts for a reasonable price though. I was always amazed how those tiny tires carried his weight on some rough roads so well.

I remember seeing Dave on his bike one day, Who lived in my neighborhood, when the local high school got out thinking to myself, my those high school kids are getting big these days LOL. The bike looked way too fragile for a man that size. They are apparently much tougher then they look.

I bought a 2018 Giant Sedona bike a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. The most comfortable bike I ever rode. The quality of this bike is 2'nd to none despite it's budget price. The 3 x 7 speed drivetrain shifts flawlessly most of the time, The rim brakes stop me in the rain, and it handles predictably at any speed I'm likely to go. You should look at some of their road bikes, I'm sure they have something suitable for you in your price range.

I think a gravel bike might suit your needs better then a road bike. They are basically a road bike with slightly wider, lightly treaded tires that work well for light trails and are still fast on pavement. I think they have a slightly higher riding position for more comfort too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-27-20 at 02:06 AM.