Old 10-17-20, 11:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It confirmed my reasons for almost always using two or more sets of head and tail lights. At a minimum, if I anticipate being out near dark, I have at least one head and tail light on the bike, and another set on my helmet (small lightweight Blackburn 2'Fers). ....
The main advantage to two or more lights is it enables others to quickly evaluate our direction, orientation and speed. I've had drivers slow and comment favorably that the combination of bike and helmet lights makes it much easier for them to approach and pass safely.
Most states specify a white light out front and a red in the back Most states specify how far away the lights must be visible. Research "Uniform Traffic Code" for your state.

As @canklecat notes, besides being illegal, having a rear-facing whiter light is confusing.

If you really want to be seen, attach a light to your left shoe, ankle, or pedal. Studies have shown that drivers most swiftly identify a light as a cyclist when the left pedal is lit. I assume this is because nothing else creates the pattern of motion of a pedal reflector or light.

if you ride much at night, you have come across vehicles with those blue-light searing laser headlights----worst of all on pick-ups or SUVs because they are mounter closer to eye level. And if you ride much at night you know how those ridiculous headlights eliminate all detail and provide only black/white contrast---you cannot see anything in the light because it is too bright, and cannot see anything outside of the light because it is too dark.

if you have met these lights, you have probably learned to focus on the edge of the road right near your front wheel, to have the least amount of light getting into your eyes. This massively compromises safety because you can only see a few feet ahead---not enough time to react to a serious obstacle. However, if you look up or forward, you wont be able to see anything and won't know if you are about to ride off the road on the right or into the oncoming lane on the left.

Now ask yourself---do you want a car coming up behind you to be that blind? Sure you can blast 750 candlepower right into drivers' eyes---do you want blinded drivers trying to pass you?

Your call.
Likes For Maelochs: