3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345
My 79 Raleigh Competition, which I ride regularly, has clamp-on friction shifters (Campy Nuovo Gran Sport). They don't like to stay tight and when they loosen up, trouble can follow. I avoid standing up to put more force on the pedals because I'm never totally confident the derailleur won't slip. Every now and then I reach down and tweak the friction adjustment (tighten the knurled outer wheel on the the shifter)

I thought maybe some vintage enthusiast here might have a trick or two to make these shifters hold their adjustment better. Maybe - add a thin disc of some grippier material? Or do something to 'lock' the adjustment wheel in position?

Originally Posted by BTDisciple
They are famous for slipping. Maybe try a bit of medium strength locktite on the threads and make sure the washers are free from grease or oil. If that doesnt work try switching out to Simplex Retrofriction or Suntour Power Shifters.
^^^this. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to "improve" them. Simplex retrofriction's are getting harder to come by, but these guys at Velo Orange are currently in production by Dia Compe, and you only need the cheaper ones, not the 11s version with more pull. 55 bucks plus shipping.