Old 03-07-21, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I've ridden with short cranks all my life in the 160 mm to 165 mm. When I built up my Paramount from a frame in 2017, I put 170 mm cranks on it because at the time the shorter were out of stock and/or not in the silver color I wanted then. I'm 5'-11" with 34.5" inseam.

Soon after I began riding it, I noticed a slight annoyance behind my knees, mostly my right knee. Never enough to keep me from riding as hard or as long as I wanted. And it usually bothered me more after I was off the bike and relaxed during the evening watching TV or reading.

I put up with it thinking I'd get used to it for four months. Then a short crank in silver came available, I ordered it, put it on and that feeling behind my knees was gone. It was only 5 mm difference, but I even noticed that I was more comfortable with my legs not pushing up into my gut as far when I was in the drops and very aero.

If you do decide to try shorter cranks, make certain that you don't already depend on that lowest gear on your bike. If you do, then you might also need to change your gearing too.
Likes For Iride01: