View Single Post
Old 11-26-21, 08:41 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I mended my Orange shoe covers sewing some blue tape to the toes. They are beach shoes/socks with holes cut in the base. They were less than 3USD from aliexpress e.g. here

Beach Shoe Cycling Shoe Covers by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
But even the XXL only fits up to a 42 27 cm shoe, and then only my thin Sidis. I also use PET bottle (soda bottle?) covers (that keep soda cool or warm) for 1 usd each shoe, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but I like the fluorescent colours of the beach shoes. Castelli sells a "Toe thingy" for about 25USD, and they used to be made in yellow, but 25USD!? There is also a Pearl Izumi cover for 60USD on amazon Japan! The toe covers from aliexpress tend to only come in black but I see there is one with reflective stuff for 4USD. Black cycle wear is a pain in my brain.

I also wondered about whether I should change my 11t sprocket/cog because it skipped but it seems to have stopped skipping. For some reason new chains skip for a while. There is a thread about new chain skipping with all sorts of theories but I am not sure that there is a definitive answer. I am wondering what the purpose of the pointy tooth on some of my cogs is (in the just past noon position). Could the pointy cog be a wear indicator? I.e. when it is down to almost nothing it is time to change cog?

I never know when to change my cassette by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

I could also purchase a sprocket wear indicator but I am too much of a skinflint and they do not check wear on sprockets smaller than 12t apparently (see review of first product).
https://www.amazon.com/Unior-Sprocke...vw_txt?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Rohloff-HG-Sp...dp/B00BGDPPIM/

Last edited by timtak; 11-26-21 at 08:48 PM.