Old 09-26-04, 10:50 PM
bobalou
pedal faster

Bikes: Motobecane, Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to bikeforums, and this is my first post. Actually my second, I just fired a blank.

I'm 63 years old, and have recently started riding around on my bicycle again. I have a Motobecane, 10 speed that I bought 29 years ago. In the late 70's, when I was in my late 30's, I used to commute on it, about 3 - 5 miles/day on some pretty steep hills here in Berkeley. In the last 25 years though, I just have not ridden that much. I also have a "beater" Trek 800 (I think) that I bought cheap a couple of years ago for use at Burning Man. Since I retired last year (Civil/Structural Engineer), I've taken to riding around town a lot on errands and just for the hell of it. I've been pretty heavily into motorcycles for the last 35 years, and find that I just enjoy the sensation of riding on two wheels. I have no idea what my mileage is.

As to medicine, I take aspirin occasionaly, vitamin C when I get a cold, and have recently started taking a cholestrol blocker (lovastatin.)

I do yoga about three times a week, and that has REALLY improved my physical condition, and my energy level. I also lost about 30 pounds, and now weigh the same as I did when I was in the Marine Corps 40 years ago.

This thread was a great idea. My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 3 week vacation in Europe (probably no cycling) but I hope to continue following this when we get home.