View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 06:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I carry both as well, despite being kind of uncomfortable with the indulgent wastefulness of CO2. I mean, maybe the production of the cartridges and gas is no worse, from an environmental quality standpoint, than the plastics and metal used in mini-pump production, I don’t know, but so many folks disposing of the gas cartridges all the time seems wasteful compared to the long life of a pump. I resisted gas for a long time until a buddy on a group ride gave me one to use and I saw how nice and convenient it was to use, allowing us to get back underway more quickly. It just feels self-indulgent, so I don’t wholeheartedly endorse gas use.

Of course, because canisters are limited in volume, having a pump on the bike is more versatile and allows one to potentially do more without any risk, so for example, helping a rider in need with your last canister is great, but then you’ve no flat repair ability. A pump, on the other hand, never runs out of air.
These are all great points. In a group ride setting or a race, CO2 gets you moving sooner. If you mostly ride solo, a mini-pump doesn't inconvenience your friends. I think the trade-off between ease and speed (which favor CO2) and the ability to pump up as many tires as necessary (which favors a pump) helps explain why some riders carry frame pumps -- which probably weigh about the same as a mini-pump + CO2 valve and a couple cartridges.
Likes For Koyote: