Old 07-17-21, 10:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
The study is an attempt to dramatize an alleged problem in order to support so-called "evidence-based public education and awareness programs that aim to reduce distracted bicycling behaviors"; programs that are either non-existent or have demonstrated little or no evidence of increasing cyclist safety.

This study provides zero data that any of the alleged "distractions" increased the cycling risk to any of the observed cyclists or that the allegedly distracted cyclists behaved in any manner different than the cyclists who were observed as not distracted.

The study makes ridiculous stretches to include everything they could think of as "distractions" in order to boost their "distraction" count, including anything carried in a hand, large purses and book bags that allegedly obstructed the riders’ legs from pedaling, certain style of women's shoes, and loud music from speakers on the handlebars.

The study provides zero evidence that any of the alleged "distractions" are associated in any way with increased cycling risk, only vague opinions are stated that distraction "could be" a contributing factor in Boston bicycle crashes. ANYTHING "could be a contributing factor" to include listening to the birds singing, reading road signs, or looking backwards for traffic from behind, or even looking in a mirror at the wrong moment.

The study concluded that "Education and public awareness are essential in preventing distracted biking incidents." but the study provided zero data or evidence of a single biking accident, crash or mishap in Boston or anywhere else related to the cyclist being "distracted."
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: