View Single Post
Old 05-16-20, 08:33 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Your fit looks perfect. The only thing I see wrong is No Helmet! Yes, the helmet police are onto you.

The only issue with your bar/brifter placement is the way the bars are bent/built. Doesn't give you a long enough ramp to rest your wrists on.
You want your setup to look like this: https://www.bikeforums.net/19145009-post3.html
which you could accomplish with these bars: FSA Omega Compact Road Handlebar (google)

Unfortunately, none of this has anything to do with your neck pain. Your saddle position and back straightness look near perfect, unless you hunch your back when not on camera, of course. Something to think about. Neck pain is usually from a hunched back.

Otherwise and in any case, here is a real good idea for cyclists: Do neck exercises, specifically dumbbell work, Only need one pair, 10 or 15 lbs. Do side raises, front raises, back raises, and standing presses, super setting all these. Say 3 sets of 12, 1 minute break between supersets. Find on youtube if you don't know them. This will totally fix you up. Some folks do head raises, bent over, strap around the back of the head attached to a small plate, just up and down.

But really, your position is friggin' perfect.

Oh, ignore that BS about what your bars are supposed to point to. That's ancient history. All you worry about is the angle of your ramps. Tilt the bars so that your wrists rest nicely on them, then set your brifters so that the brake levers are vertical. That usually is correct, or very nearly. Your hoods should then be an extension of your ramps, like in the photo. With that setup and a well-bent elbow, you can rest your wrists on your ramps with your hands vertical, your thumb hooked over the top of your brifters, like the rider in the last photo at this link: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post12953035

You are right actually ... I do tend to hunch over a lot especially on longer rides when I tire out. I try to remind myself to engage my core and maintain a straight back but it's easier said than done. I definitely catch myself hunched over very often ...

Are ther any adjustments on the bike that could help counter that while I work on developing core strength and a better posture? I really want to move up to the 50 miles rides and over but what's preventing me now is neck pain and not stamina 🤦🏻‍♂️