Old 05-25-22, 09:34 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Good fit - yes. Seat in the proper place relative to the bottom bracket. Handlebars to get the proper lean forward and comfortable arm bend, and for me, a stretched and elongated back. So I like my handlebars further forward and not especially low. I have long arms so my stems are very long.

I started the long stem journey when I was having real back pain and anaerobic pain in my torso on hard climbs on my commuter. It was a touring frame with a short top tube. I had a custom, very long horizontal stem made. One of my first rides was a very hilly 70 miler. No back pain at all! Hills were seriously hard but no pains that shouldn't be there.

I now compare my position on the bike as being like a cat. I'm at my best stretched like that cat when it stretches impossibly long. Yes, I'm exaggerating but you get the idea. I want my vertebrae stretched, not compressed, especially on long hills.