Old 10-15-20, 12:20 PM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
That crown was still available as late as mid-'80s, though they were starting to look a bit old-fashioned by then.. We used maybe 10-15 of them over about 5 years at the shop I worked at ('79-'84), and I have three of them at the moment. I doubt those were leftovers "in the pipeline" since 1960 – they must have been made up into the late '70s at least.

Though they look a bit massive, they are cast hollow and are actually decently light.

We would carve them into pleasing shapes, mostly by subtraction, and I never saw one crack or bend, so I think they are strong and malleable castings.

Your frame unfortunately is a bit generic, not in a bad way, just not much that would help pin down the maker or year. I tend to doubt it is Italian – they were unlikely to use a British crown, back in olden times. Might be American-made.

What are the bottom bracket threads? (Do you know how to tell or do you need help with that?)

Mark B in Seattle

Wow, thanks so much for all the info. The only other piece of information I have been able to come up with was from the previous owner. Prior to him purchasing the frame 20+ years ago, it was powder-coated in Boston. I know that doesn't really help determine anything, but it's at least something new I had learned. No, I do not know which type of bottom bracket threads they are. I have not yet removed the sealed cartridge bottom-bracket that is currently installed just yet. I plan to this weekend. I am aware that reverse threaded bottom brackets on the non-drive side would eliminate the possibility of either a French or Italian bottom-bracket threading, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. How would you recommend me determining the threading aside from that? BTW I do not own a caliper for exact measurements.