View Single Post
Old 06-01-22, 10:26 AM
Mr Sir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am well aware that what I am doing is a taboo by the mainstream GCN but I don't care.So I took the bike as it is for the first test ride out. I notice that my lower center of gravity makes the bike feel stable - it seems to counterbalance the ultra short 35mm stem. I don't notice the ''increased twitcheness'' of a short stem or I have just not ridden enough yet. My bars have quite a far reach so while in the hoods I am not far off the contact patch in the tire (along that vertical line, I forgot what its called).

I am so low that right now I can basically look car drivers in the eyes through their windshields. And I don't live in SUV country, I am talking normal cars. I also notice I am working different muscle groups now that I am riding much more ''crank forward'', especially the muscles in the lower leg feel much greater use. I will have to build these new muscle groups, but I will persist with it at the moment. The more crank forward position also puts less pressure on the perineum I noticed. I don't know what's more efficient pedalling-- having the crank forward (saddle back) or being seated more above the crank like the TT riders. Sometimes what's accepted as being true isn't always true in cycling. Either way, even being more behind the cranks right now, I have no problem with my thighs hitting my chest even when cycling with a horizontal back because of my short cranks.

Swapping to 650B wheels would drop the whole bike another ~1.9 cm but its an investment I cant afford right now. I'd rather keep the 700C wheels and have the BB dropped a few centimeters but alas that would require a custom frame. Since I ride 145 mm cranks I could do either option without worrying about pedal strikes.

Last edited by Mr Sir; 06-01-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Mr Sir: