Old 06-01-22, 02:02 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sir
Just for the heck of an experiment, I wanted to see how low I can get the saddle while still getting proper leg extension.
I managed to get the saddle that low that I can touch the ground with both feet while seated on the saddle with the tops of my feet while getting the right leg extension.
All in all the drop is very significant, and my center of gravity has lowered by a lot. The whole ride feeling has changed.

To achieve this, I tried a few mods.
First, getting rid of clipless pedals with a high stack height and going to thin platform pedals + thin soled shoes. This lowers the saddle by 2 to 3 centimeters.
Second, swapping to a more midfoot pedal position.
Thirdly, pushing the saddle as far back as possible, and going for an ultra short stem to maintain the same reach. ( I know, ultra short mtb stems are never used with roadbikes ... but I don't think it's as twitchy as they say -- the human body adapts and accustomes quickly).
Fourthly, swapping to slightly longer cranks (but I still use much shorter cranks than most cyclists namely 145, and 152.).
As a consequence of the lower position I was able to get rid of all stem spacers.

All of these are quite controversial changes to a roadbike, i am well aware.
But for the sake of experimentation, I am going to give it a a good try on the road.
I am significantly lower than before. I don't know how much, but I feel much closer to the ground. And I can touch the ground with both feet while seated in the saddle. it feels awesome. But now sure how it will feel after a long ride...
and the point of all this.....what now?
Likes For Litespud: