Old 09-25-22, 01:23 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Ryan_M states it has 5501, which puts it as late 90's-early '00's (1996-2005), if it's been used, then it's probably worn out by now and mostly will need a refresh (probably hard to do as spares like bracket covers (hoods) will be HTF/unavailable) or replacement with a more modern drive train.

For the questions
1 - If it's 68/73mm, then a HT2 BB will fit, for Shimano being poor on documentation you can find it here Manuals | Manuals & Technical Documents (shimano.com) For the BBR60, this is a different spec to MTB HT2 BB's, and need an adaptor to fit, All of these I have purchased came with the adaptor, but from seeing post more recently, this may no longer be the case and it may need to be purchased separately.

2 - Should work, your current RD may not, that said, if the bike is a triple, check the ratios, as a 11-34 + triple is a massive range for a road bike, even if your looking at a double 50/34, this gives a very wide ratio

3 - Flimsy? not seen a band on adaptor that would ever be described a flimsy, you should still be able to buy band on FD's, using a clamp on is just easier if swapping/mean shops need less SKU's

For sticking a new groupset on any old bike, would do the math on is it cost effective vs just buying a complete bike, you currently have a 25–30-year-old bike, and throwing a new groupset on it will still leave you with an old bike, just with a few new components. You haven't mentioned if things like the stem and handlebars fit, add all this up.

Does your GF really need R7000? would looking at a new bike with Sora or Tiagra that has a modern fit be better? there is nothing wrong with the lower end Shimano groupsets, they are ergonomically as good today as the higher end ones, and work as well.
Seems the bike is 20ish years old so those dates fit. Thanks for the link but I've been through most of that. I was more looking for thread pitch/diameter specs, dimensioned drawings, etc., so I could make extra sure but haven't been able to find it though it's possible I missed a document.

Her bike fits her well, it's an ALU frame and carbon fork, so it's still serviceable for now. Wheels arent horrible, 105 hubs and Mavic rims. The handle bars have some funky bends in the drops so maybe a new HB while I'm changing everything out. It's really just the drivetrain that's the weak point. I understand what you're saying about putting all the new stuff on an old bike but like I said disposable income isn't there right now for a whole new bike. When she updates the rest of the bike I'll be building it, save a ton of $$$ that way. I built my roadie end of last winter and saved ~$2400 over a comparible commercial offering - though I'd argue mine is still a bit better. So when she does move on I'll take the groupset with and throw the old gear back on the bike so she can sell it.

No she doesn't really "need" R7000, I don't need R8020 on mine either but it's nice to have!!! I considered R4700 but the price difference on the entire groupset to go up to R7000 is $72 so might as well go for the better stuff. I'd rather not go for R3000. Thanks for the answers on the technical questions. Re: the adapter, is was looking at this part. It seems the mating surface between the adapter and the FD is a little short and won't stabilize the derailleur well but not needed now, as Hondo6 mentioned the R7000 FD is available in a clamp mount as well (I missed that so thanks!).