View Single Post
Old 12-10-18, 05:43 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just a follow-up. I rode around most of O'ahu in early June. I, again, got up at 3am for the start. I went counter-clockwise, and didn't see daylight until I was getting out of Waimanalo. By hearing from others 1) go with a group... <I didn't, I coudn't talk anyone into riding with me... This was typical> 2) "I got 6 flats along that route" (I got one at mile 105, with the road conditions, I'm surprised I didn't get the "suggested" 6 flat day). I rode with 3 spares.Waikiki is a different world outside of what you normally see on post cards, and what the visitors bureau wants you to see....
I was in total darkness for about 2 hours, light started coming in around Waimanalo. Dealt with 2 close passes, and a near left hook. The two close passes, both revved their engines (big trucks, small....ahem)( (all on video) Will be reporting, per coaching by HBL. Roads get more sketchy once you leave Kaneohe Bay Area. You get some "bike space" along with rumble strips, especially in the really wet areas Windward side. Then the roads become smooth, and you have space, Repeat a couple of times. Turtle Bay Resort... roads are nice. Some parts of the North Shore around Waimea Falls, and the golf course, nice. The rest isn't great, and neither are the "bike lanes", with copious amounts of crap in them... It's a wonder I didn't get 4 flats (I only got one). Pineapple Hill: LOL. I did the charge and push, since I didn't know how long it was, or what to expect, so after about the 4th charge/push, I about wanted to die, but I pushed anyway.
The roads "inland" aren't the best, esp when you get into Waipahu, and parts of Mililani. That dive down into the bridge (right before Mink Park), I got an earful from a motorist, who didn't like being held up by a bike. I only heard an f-bomb and a few other things, the wind knocked most of it out. It was another bullying tactic,

I already knew that the bike infrastructure wasn't great here, but I wanted to do this at least once to experience it. Certainly, motorists are different when there isn't any sort of infrastructure, meaning I'm taking the lane at points that might piss off a few people. Having the mirror helped today... :-)
Got a flat on Ala Moana, riding stupidly, in the bike lane, where I picked up a nice sized screw.. stuck right in the tire. There is so much crap in the bike lanes, where there is a structure.. I don't think the City EVER cleans them. After that little episode, I rode in the right lane of the street.. Don't need another flat... I only had one tube. Both my phone and garmin died when I had to spend time changing the tubes out. They were low anyway. Note to self: If you're going to do a Century, take TWO battery packs, or one stronger one..... Lesson learned. I rode 5 miles longer than the stats here.... I did make it a "true loop"Took: 3 sets of fig bars from costco, corn chips, banana. Ate those at stops along the way. Got an iced coffee in Wahiawa.
1 Flat
1 bathroom break... It's a different experience, when you're sweating it all out... must of gone through 6 bottles of water.