View Single Post
Old 05-07-22, 12:30 AM
poiboy1964

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm…Pretty Quiet Here

I’m just rebooting my cycling after a 15 year pause. When I moved to Hawaii, I left my bike behind and concentrated on running. Now that my running is on hold, because of injury, it’s time to ride again. After I get myself in decent riding shape, I will probably join a group. For now, I will ride in the areas I use to run (except around Punchbowl unless it’s 4am in the morning).

Lagoon Drive by the airport has a 2 mile stretch where cyclists and some wheelchair racers go back and forth. The amount of runners and walkers greatly multiplied during the pandemic.

Kalanianaole Highway from Kalani High to Hawaii Kai is a nice long stretch though the traffic will fly by you.

There’s the 4 mile loop around Diamond Head which I enjoyed running both clockwise and counterclockwise (lots of runners).

West Loch Park/Fort Weaver Rd/Iroquois Point Rd will take you all the way to…Iroquois Point. Again, cars will fly by you unless you are on the bike path on Fort Weaver Rd (separated from the roadway).

The Pearl Harbor Bike Path is around 4 miles each way though there are sketchy areas with homeless folks though they never bothered me while running.

I’ve seen plenty of cyclists riding around the eastern end of the island and also the Tantalus/Roundtop loop but I’m too much of a chicken to try those routes🐓

Of course, we all know it’s illegal to ride on the sidewalks in downtown and Waikiki😉