Old 09-27-21, 11:15 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
SC passed a "no texting while driving" law several years ago. There was a complete "Hands Free" law proposed last year (I think) but it never made it to a vote in the legislature.
Yeah, I agree, that's pretty stupid.

Those stats are for occupant deaths in vehicles. Naturally, if you make safer cars, fewer people will die in crashes.
However, if you look at the stats for the number of pedestrians and cyclists killed BY cars, the trend is definitely not good.
Deadliest Year for Pedestrians and Cyclists in U.S. Since 1990 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
The numbers are disturbing to say the least.

Autonomous vehicles are coming on fast and strong and they just may be a technology that saves us from ourselves. The number of autonomously controlled trucks and autos increasing by the day. How many people know that there are many autonomously operated semi-trucks traversing the highways of the nation right at this moment? Depending on where you live, if you look closely you are likely to see them.

I can see a not too far off future where human-operated motor vehicles will be considered for sport or recreation only and restricted to areas where they do not pose hazards to pedestrians, cyclists, autonomous vehicles, etc. Bring it on.