View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 10:33 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Don't even need a compass. The rising and setting sun would tell you east and west. Mid day in North America would be tougher as the sun is nearly overhead and it's time consuming to determine in which direction it's moving. Crossing the Mississippi would be hit and miss finding a bridge for bikes. Eventually you'd hit the Pacific, somewhere between San Diego and Seattle. Might be dangerous crossing sections of the SW desert in summer if you veer in that direction. Dead end roads would be tiresome. It would help to have a general knowledge of the geography and terrain features of the U.S.

I love and read maps so have a good handle on the layout and directions of the National Routes, I.E. US 20, US 30 etc...And would pick one and use that. I think 20 would be a workable route.
It would be an interesting challenge.

You are correct. My wife and I rode from Newport, Oregon to Boston on US 20 We didn't have a compass or a smart phone. However, we did have maps, usually state road maps, which were good for finding places to stay and campgrounds. The ride could have been done without maps, but would have resulted in more wild camping.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-22-21 at 10:37 AM.