View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 12:15 AM
shawn_dubs

Bikes: 2018 Trek Verve+, 2003 Trek 7100 (converted to e-bike), 1995 GT Arette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a month shy of 2 years with a Verve+ (original) that I've got nearly 4K miles of commuting on. Last month I had to have a warranty replacement of my rear wheel because the rims were cracking around multiple spokes. Roads where I live are quite bad, including the main street I'm on for 6 of my 14 mile round trip to/from work. Also sometimes I can be pretty loaded down on those bad roads, especially if I stop at the grocery store. Anyway, just something to keep an eye on. Though your bike is newer, it appears as though we have the same wheels.

I'm on my ~3rd set of tires (less than a year in I took a massive nail in the side wall) and have decided the stock Bontrager H5s simply aren't cutting it. Just before the rim replacement I had gotten a new set of Kenda Kwick Journey tires. I wanted a different model that was nub-ier on the sides but stock levels in 45c weren't playing along. These tires are decent so far though. I had gotten multiple flats over a couple weeks as the tire thinned out so it was time. Used the tire change as an opportunity to get new tubes and put sealant in them as well.

I'm on my second chain as well, but it was more of a troubleshooting measure the shop took when diagnosing a different issue, which resulted in a warranty replacement of the cassette.