NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If I were subject to the City of Toronto's laws, sure. I'm not. There has been plenty of other examples tossed around where they are specifically allowed on cycle paths. Whose anecdotal evidence wins?
This throws into stark relief the problem with "arbitrary lines in the sand". If we choose the "legal definition" of what constitures an "e-bike", and where they are allowed to go, then there will be a myriad of differing jurisdictions and rulings on all that. What do you follow in order to determine what is acceptable here? Because clearly full-blown motorcycles are not ok, but you say e-bikes are, so by what legal definition? There are many, and it'll be constantly changing underneath your feet. All the way down that slippery slope, as time passes and they get better and better, or as you say that up to x watts is ok, but then someone argues that they NEED x+1 watts because of some disability, so you have to include them, and so it goes on and on and on until you basically are including all motorized bikes. And that is the reason why I'm saying it would be wiser to just draw the line now at "no motors", at least for forums that are ostensibly dedicated to matters related to bicycles, as this one is.