Old 12-17-18, 07:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
You are assuming lots there.

Anyhow, 8 day trip, average 40 miles per day, with a rest day mid trip, seems like someone knows what she's doing.

-mr. bill
What am I assuming?

You seem to be assuming a great deal, introducing spurious gender arguments and your badge of serious cycling. You seem to assume I didn't think she could do it, or that I thought she didn't know what she was doing or that I think I'm any better suited to the task than she might be. None of that is true.

I'm on her side and I know from my life experience that this sort of endeavor is always tougher than we think it will be. When we read: “It’s really ambitious,” Rubio acknowledged. I take that to mean she feels the same way.

I guess I am assuming that most people doing such a ride for the first time end up thinking on several occasions mid-ride "this really is harder than I thought." That assumption is based on my own trials and my observation of human nature. It is in part why we push beyond our comfort zone. Because it is overcoming that sensation which gives us a sense of achievement. I do think she's going to hit some hills where she'll be thinking something to the effect of "why the xxxx did I sign on for this?" I think that because it is what happens to most of us when we stretch beyond or usual norms and limits. I'm glad she's doing it and I think she'll feel great when arrives in old Santa Fe.