View Single Post
Old 11-25-19, 02:38 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This conversation relates to complete bikes being sold by all bike manufacturers.

26" wheels and their components...yes you can still purchase all of that from online bike stores such as Jenson etc. But you will be hard pressed to find any of the major mountain bike companies selling a 26" mountain bike.

So yes...26" is dead. The 26" offerings out there are limited to department store bikes which are junk.
Well, let's go back top the original question:

Originally Posted by dieterpi
I have a 27.5" mtb which is starting to show its age, and I have started looking for a replacement. (without a hurry)
It might be just me, but it looks like 27.5" is going to have same fate as 26"? All the new mountainbikes seem 29"...

I'm a bit hesitant of switching to a 29'er, because of the slight loss of manoeuvrability (perhaps nothing to be worried about?)
This person can go out tomorrow and buy a brand new 27.5 bike. It will last for years (hopefully) and they will have no problem buying parts. Why worry if it is "dead"? How would that effect this rider in any way? It's a non starter question and supposition - just something people say because they like to pronounce things.

What does anyone get out of stating certain bikes are dead? What is the pay off unless you are buying stocks in future 27.5 bicycle sales? In a world where you can buy just about any style off the shelf or get a builder to make whatever you want (as you just suggested to the OP in the 29r dropbar thread) such statements seem limited to those viewing bike ownership as a popularity contest and are afraid of being caught on the wrong side of fashion.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-25-19 at 03:08 PM.