Old 06-14-22, 08:46 AM
goldfilm

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Roubaix SE w/Shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I used to try and upgrade the parts on a bike, then usually gave up and bought a nicer bike after wasting a lot of money.

You can presumably get something like $500 back on yours. I'd just clean it up, service it and leave it as is assuming everything works. You won't get your money back on any upgrades.

Your $2k would get you a Giant Content AR 1 - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2022
That's an alu frame, carbon fork, hydraulic disc brakes, 2x11 gears, D-Fuse seatpost and 32mm tubeless tires.
So that should be lighter, faster, more comfortable and will stop better in all weathers.

I'm not sure you could get anything comparable to the Content AR 1 for your $1500 difference, even if you ignore that everything original on your existing bike will be 10 years older.
What do you mean with “clean it and service it”… full tune up, or just making sure everything works? I’m still riding it with no issues… I ask this because last service was ~ $200. Also is there any basic change like cables or handle tape you’d do before selling or mostly cleaning it is enough?

Also, I’m curious about what feature you’d consider with additional $500-1K to my original budget. Ultegra set, carbon frame, another brand beyond Giant, or anything else?