View Single Post
Old 12-04-22, 07:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My front wheel on my disc brake road bike would move around slightly during heavy braking. The skewers were both external cam and titanium (Salsa). I don't know for sure which was at fault, but replacing with internal cam steel skewers solved the problem. I had initially attributed this to the properties of the external cam, but someone pointed out to me it could be a bit of stretch in the titanium, and that steel was superior in this regard.

Also, some skewers come with aluminum non-lever-side nuts. Those threads sometimes aren't strong enough.
My bike has rim brakes, so we may be comparing apples and oranges. When I bought the bike, the titanium skewers were optional and not terribly expensive, with external cams. Not really knowing much about the differences, I ordered the Ti bits. When I got the bike, the original Shimano skewers were included. I have switched them on and off the bike a few times for no particular reason, but don't notice any difference in their performance. Of course, with disc brakes there would be a different set of concerns.

I think the QR nuts I have are aluminum with steel inserts. I'd be nervous having those threads in plain aluminum!