Old 09-09-23, 06:04 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
I can't add anything to Asian airlines, never having flown there, but I would add that given the multiple flights, be sure that you tape very well the bottom corners of the box, even running tape along the full length of the two long edges. The more the box will be moved, maybe dragged, over rough cement, more tape will mean less chances of the cardboard getting ripped, especially if rain is involved and wet tarmac.

Also, reinforce tape the four or six "hand openings", I always do this to help reduce a rip occuring when a worker roughly grabs it and pulls hard.
I just flew back from a trip with two legs each way, so four transfers into and out of planes, and this box was also used last summer, and it is still in good shape--yes luck, but also the extra tape helped with the "contact points".

I also always get the smallest box that my bike can fit into, and why I kept this box from last trip. Bike is more secure inside and much easier moving around on an airport trolly and easy to "sidestep" it through narrow doors or whatever while still on the trolly.
Sidestep-- I mean lifting the rear wheels of trolly with bike box horizontally on trolly, leaving front wheels on ground and "crabbing" sideways around stuff. Works very well and easy to do.

my cardboard box is 148 x 19.5 x 82

we learned years ago about different carriers and the origin flight rules from the original carrier not applying. Not with bikes, but with regular baggage, so I've been very aware of this for a long time, and specifically chose my recent flight so that the same carrier did both legs of my flight.
A learning experience for you, but c'est la vie, that's life. Live and Learn.
good luck