View Single Post
Old 03-18-20, 06:37 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
well done!
you took a lot of kit with you
Always. Lotsa options (food, drink, clothes, and otherwise) and lots to do My trips are to be comfortable and fun, not squeaking by with the bare minimum.

For what it is worth, when I left it was in the upper 30's and very moist - dew point and temp were the same causing so much condensation it turned in to a light rain in places. That lasted about 3.5 hours then cleared up. It wasn't a warm sunny day for a ride = more gear because of the layers etc.

A few things I could have done without on this trip, like a reclining chair and heavy coat in the yellow bag. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I did shed layers about 2/3 of the ride out - so that all had to go somewhere. I wasn't hurting on bag space so no problem there.

I had planned to leave before daybreak but it was just too wet to risk it. So I waited until the sun was up to re-evaluate and still sat it out a while. I did get a bit wet about an hour in to the ride, to the point I almost stopped. I had an umbrella I could have hunkered down under if I had to (didn't have much water repellent layers - only a coat). There was no rain on the radar so again, just the moisture in the air. I was hoping I would ride out of the wet spot soon enough - and I did. So it all worked out.