View Single Post
Old 08-06-21, 06:44 PM
shelgame

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Clunker

I've been having some pain in my left wrist while riding; especially over bumps (I mostly ride on the pavement these days). I found out from my Dr. that it is not a recurring sprain, but a bone disease. And, it's not going to get better.

So, I decided I need a more upright bike, to take the pressure off my hands. I don't really like any of the hybrid style bikes at all. But, I do like the look of a 'clunker' with BMX bars. So, I picked up a vintage Ross Super Deluxe frame. It looks pretty cool; dual 1-pc top tubes/seat stays and cross tubes. But, it weighs a ton. And, the bottom bracket is really pretty high. Meaning I'd have to get even taller bars that I had hoped to make it work.

On the other hand, I do have a bunch of tubing I was going to use to build an all-rounder (basically a flat-bar gravel bike). What if I just pulled the curved top tubes off the Ross, tossed the rest, and built up a basically new frame? The Ross is mostly brazed together (no fillets) so should be pretty easy to remove those curved tubes. The new bike will be fillet brazed.

Will be much lighter ( though maybe not 'light' per se), have resonable geom, and still look the part.

This is where I'm at...

The Ross Super Deluxe (not mine, my frame is maroon and rust colored);

My all-rounder bike with the Ross top tubes/seat stays:

This is my current frankenbuild that will provide the other necessary components (1x9 drivetrain, Shimano XT 4-pot calipers, wheels, tires, disks, etc.). This frame is an Acces XCL 26er with a Mr. Ride rigid fork running 700c-35 Conti Double Fighter tires.

I'm open to criticism and ridicule, if necessary.

Last edited by shelgame; 08-06-21 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For shelgame: