View Single Post
Old 07-26-09, 02:45 AM
24tracktape

Bikes: 1995 Guerciotti Genius, 1992 Cannondale Delta V 1000, 1989 Cannondale SR500, 1987 Univega Nuovo Sport, 1984 Trek 620, 1983 Muddy Fox Monarch, 1960 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks as well for your work on those Herse scans. I saved those images to my computer in order to make some prints of those.

Great stuff, even 60 years later!

Best-
Rich

Originally Posted by stronglight
Now THAT is what I call one fine looking TOURING bike! Very nice build up! Everything you could want for a long cross-country tour.

Great choice of brake levers too. Funny how everyone seems to love traditional brake cable routing on older touring bikes. I admit that I too like the old "look"... but aero levers are really just soooo much better. And they are definitely very practical when using a handlebar or rack top front bag.

Here are scans I made of a truly classic 1948 Rene Herse bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7618749510933/ The illustrator, Daniel Rebour, makes specific note of the "extra long" brake cables which were fitted on this bike - to allow easy access to the bag opening. I suspect Herse would have loved to use aero brake levers on such a bike, if they had been around in the 1940s. They would have fitted in perfectly with his extensive use of internally routed cables which eliminated so much "clutter" on his bikes.