View Single Post
Old 10-25-21, 01:19 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'm seeking comments on the Bontrager R4 320 Tubular Road Tire. An ebay seller hasthem for $50 shipped for 25mm tan walls. The normal Trek price is $70-100.

Since I entered retirement 3 weeks ago, I'm finally finding time to re-build my Lotus Super Pro Aero.

While I'd like to go with the super skinny 19-20mm tubulars I originally bought, now that I'm here on the GA coast, I'm thinking I'd like a little more rubber at 25mm and slightly lower PSI in my tires. I have on hand 25mm tan-wall Vitoria Rallys but feel as if it deserves better tires.

Pictured above is when I brought it home. The PO had mismatched rims. I replaced the rear clincher to match the front tubular.

Can't speak to the R4 320s but I bought half a dozen Bontrager R4 Classics (28s) and most all of them failed where the stem is glued to the latex tube. Called Bonty, said they hadn't heard of this issue and they sent along a few more at no cost. Have 4 in florida now being retubed. Flat protection hasn't been all that great either. In the same class as the lot of Vittoria Corsa Controls I tried, which is rather poor. Really miss the Vittoria Pave.

However, the Classics are beautiful tires, super supple ride, and super fast.

Joe

Last edited by jcb3; 10-25-21 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarify
Likes For jcb3: