Old 01-20-22, 07:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
This... almost has no response...but it wouldn't be the internet if I didn't try:
1. Who cares. I do not want wireless nor 12 speed.
2. uh - they have a wireless front end with a wired rear on the latest groups - which is a marked improvement over a wireless system. The battery running their system is way beyond what SRAM has been doing and delivers amazing performance at both derailleurs.
3. This is like saying, "Oh yeah? They don't have the bad features that you hate so they aren't as good."

This is incorrect. They specifically are keeping the R9000 levers on hand and making them compatible with the new generation wires so that those who want mechanical brakes/rim brakes still have an option. Again though, like above, this is a door that should have been shut though. I love rim brakes as much as the next guy but somewhere there's a car enthusiast who still loves mechanical drum brakes I'm sure.

As a professional mechanic I can assure you that SRAM is much worse than Shimano at front shifting. They have greatly improved their front shifting over the years. eTap has taken it even much further in performance. It has brought them to "almost" as good as Shimano front shifting is at it's worst. Agreed that most people are clueless when it comes to setting up a front derailleur properly. Eliminating that as a variable SRAM is worse.
Much of what you wrote is factually incorrect, but you're the professional.

I have the last three generations of SRAM Red (12, 11, and 11 mechanical) and the FD is perfect for me but maybe you are clueless on their setup as you are clearly a Shimano fanboy. The eTap are very good to the point of faultless. I cannot remember a missed shift in many, many tens of thousands of miles.

Shimano battery is better? Are you joking? It is massive with wires. Wires. OTOH, the SRAM is easy on and off with no wires. Shimano's "wireless" is kludgy at best. Shimano's "wireless" rim brake system is a joke and the key reason I stuck with SRAM.