Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Cycling has been an integral part of my life since I was born. I was born into a cycling family. And for the most part, we cycle for fun ... adventure ... a chance to travel and see the world. It is a lifestyle. I can't imagine living in a house without at least one bicycle in it ... and bicycle equipment, tools, gear, kit, books, magazines, stuff ... and ornaments. I've been surrounded by it all as long as I can remember.

My cycling kind of died off for a few years in my late teens/early 20s, but then I renewed my acquaintance with cycling 23 years ago for the fun of it, of course, and also for fitness. I was already walking and had started bodybuilding, but added cycling for the cardio. After a couple years, I determined that I enjoyed cycling more than bodybuilding, so I focussed on that.

A number of years later, I got into racing ... and then randonneuring and other long-distance cycling ... and then touring (although I had dabbled in touring before). It's the challenge, the excitement, the adventure, the discovery.

I've commuted by bicycle in that time too, but mostly as training for racing and randonneuring. And for quite a few years, it allowed me to sleep in! Taking the bus took about 45 minutes ... cycling took 20 minutes. I'll take an extra 25 minutes of sleep.

And I've ridden all sorts of different bicycles in that time ... all part of the fun.

For me ... the journey is just as important as the destination.

I'll just add this ....

Despite the fact that an illness (DVT) took a lot out of me for about a year from 2009, I still cycled. Not as much as I had, and I found it extremely frustrating that I couldn't do what I could before, but I still got out there and rode and rode and rode. I've been plugging away at it for the last few years ... and finally this year I actually feel strong enough to start doing longer rides again. As summer comes on, we'll see how we go!

Meanwhile, the bicycles have always been there. We actually had to get a house with the storage capacity for them all. I can't imagine life without bicycles.