Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How important is bicycling to you?

Originally Posted by Machka
I'll just add this ....

Despite the fact that an illness (DVT) took a lot out of me for about a year from 2009, I still cycled... and finally this year I actually feel strong enough to start doing longer rides again. As summer comes on, we'll see how we go!

Meanwhile, the bicycles have always been there. We actually had to get a house with the storage capacity for them all. I can't imagine life without bicycles.

Originally Posted by Roody
This thread is only three years old. Why, it's barely had time to get ripe!
@Machka, I’m always amused at how you resurrect these threads.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My main reason to reply to this thread [”What stops you from riding?"] though is to ask, even rhetorically, why was this thread resurrected by the above post on 8/13/15, after the last preceding on 5/15/13?

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not?

My guess: an attempt to breath life into a fading list by one poster.

Also noted is the gallant effort by another to pick up the fallen standard of self appointed discussion list content monitor.
Anyways, since I never posted to this current thread, here is my most profound reflection on the question:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trival symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.