View Single Post
Old 05-15-16, 05:58 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If a person is car-free for ideological reasons... limit the persons employment opportunities... limit travel opportunities... basically stuck in your neighbourhood... limit enjoyment of life... prevent the person from living their life to it's fullest potential... prevent the person from advancing and making progress in life...
Those are some broad generalizations you're making there! If anything, they indicate that you're missing the point: Being car-free is not the same as not owning/using/having access to a motor vehicle. I'm enjoying my cycling, and I'm happy that I've found the time, the will, and the strength to get back in the saddle after all these years. But that doesn't mean that I'm about to sell my not-quite-vintage-but-modern-classic Benz, on which I spend untold amounts of money to keep in tip-top shape over the years, for a song just to prove to myself or anyone else that I can be completely dependent on two wheels instead of four. In fact, I still very much enjoy driving my Benz 900 miles to Amman and back whenever I feel like going home and seeing my mom.

None of those who chose to go completely car-free would ever say that motor vehicles are the stuff of evil. Ambulances are motor vehicles. Fire engines are motor vehicles. The awesome-looking armored SUVs that SWAT teams use to fight terrorists and hostage takes are motor vehicles. The bus that moves you between the terminal and the airliner is a motor vehicle. Which is to say that motor vehicles - both as tools and as objects of affection - are a natural result of human progression and advancement, and have and will always have their place and purpose. Yes, I enjoy riding my bicycle for 20 kilometers in 40+ degree heat and sweating like a pig, but I will gladly use my nice, comfy, air-conditioned Benz to go to a business meeting or take my wife out to dinner in style.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 05-15-16 at 10:51 PM.