View Single Post
Old 01-23-21, 09:43 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I've always considered hybrids (commuters, comfort bike, whatever they are called these days) to be a compromise of everything, and as such, not really good for anything. E.g., if you took one off-road, you'd be horribly disappointed due to the limitations of the bike. If I was going offroad 30% of the time, I wouldn't be looking for a bike that's only a 3-out-of-10 offroad. I'd rather get a mtb that can be quite decent offroad, and isn't challenged at all by cruising on a path.

If going 100% on a pathway/greenway, that's a different story, and a hybrid might be perfect.

Based on what you say, I'd go for a mtb and put less aggressive tyres on it, that are still capable off-road, but more suited to gravel paths. I'd also go for the hardtail. "Keep it simple". If you find yourself wanting more grip offroad, then you can get better tyres - much easier than getting another bike! If you find yourself on tarmac 100% of the time, you can get very urban-specific tyres and still be very happy.