View Single Post
Old 08-09-21, 07:32 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I told this story before at another thread but here it is again ...

Years ago I was staffing an ACA Cycle VT. One morning I was on the early shift in a van marking turns with chalk spray. At Derby Line VT I decided that one turn needed extra arrows so I drove around the block to return to that location. Suddenly all of the signs were in French. I kept making left hand turns until I approached the port of entry ,.. from the Canadian side! That must have been before 9/11.
a few years ago, maybe 3, 4? (Covid has messed up how long ago stuff was with this lost 18 mths) we biked with friends in and around the Quebec Vermont border for a three day trip I think. We passed through one of those "split down the middle" towns, and it certainly has changed from pre 9/11 days and or before. There are very clear and present signs of where teh border is and from vague memories, I suspect all the "through" streets have been blocked off except for the one that has the actual border crossing.
Seems to me that my friend told us of the house or library or something with a line down the middle of it back in the day.