Old 05-25-21, 05:50 AM
ZippyDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comprehensive parts and tool list for dynamo + lighting install?

• I'm currently in the US, but I will soon be traveling by bicycle in a developing country.
  • I'll buy the bicycle there, but I want to bring along as much of the parts, tools, and accessories as I'll need to outfit a local bike.
  • In the developing world, parts are either unavailable (you must wait for long and expensive shipping), overpriced, or available but of lower quality (Chinese knock offs).
  • I'd like to buy as much as possible in th US (that I can reasonably carry or ship) before heading out.
  • I already have:
    • dynamo (Shimano)
    • front light (SON)
    • rear light (Busch & Muller)
  • What else will I need or might I need to complete a full dynamo and lighting retrofit on a standard bicycle?
    • Parts? Probably these can be found locally, but will they be of reasonable price and/or quality?
      • Wheel spokes?
      • Wiring harnesses?
      • Connectors?
      • Shrink wrap?
      • Cable ties?
      • Nuts and bolts?
    • Tools? Any specialized tools I'll need to do the job?
    • Accessories?
    • Anything I'm forgetting? Perhaps I should also setup a provision for USB charging?
  • Maybe there is already a detailed parts and tools list that already lists all of this? (In googling, I couldn't find any great resource)
  • I would have preferred to get this done by a "professional", but I already reached out via phone, email, and Facebook to a dozen of the most popular bike shops in the foreign capital, and none of them did dynamo installs. Some didn't even know what a dynamo is. So I guess I'll have to do this myself.

Last edited by ZippyDan; 05-25-21 at 05:55 AM.