View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 09:45 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I've been in the fitness and endurance game for over 40 years and there's two things that have remained constant for me:

1) Pre-hydrate with straight water 2 to 3 hours before your ride. I usually drink a 20 oz water about three hours before my ride then around 8 ounces two hours before, then around 4 or 5 ounces just as I'm about to start the ride. And, unless you're going on a ride over 40 miles, I suggest just straight water in your water bottles.

2) A good slow warm-up as you start your ride for about a mile or two maybe, then hit it hard. Then a slow 1 mile cool-down at the end. Then re-hydrate with a lot of water right after your ride.
Hydration and nutrition were the suggestions I had in mind. I disagree, though, with drinking only straight water - unless you are also eating food with some salt then a 'sports drink' with electrolytes is advisable, especially in hot weather. Sweat has almost as much salt as it has water, and both must be replenished. I personally enjoy healthy-ish salty snacks like almonds to add protein and salt.

Stretching after a ride or workout is also advisable.